Here's to my dad! Last week I had to fill out some personality tests, which basically tried to discern whether or not I am crazy. I had to respond to true/false statements like, "I am sometimes possessed by evil spirits" and, "Some animals make me nervous" (actually that one's true-- I really don't like raccoons). So one statement was "My father is a good man." These aren't really the reasons I answered "true," but they are at least some things I appreciate about him.
- He looks great in rabbit ears, doing a duck walk, and kissing a fish.
- He is a fabulous photographer. I have inherited from him a love of beautiful things.
- He is a remarkable writer, thinker and reader. I see those things becoming more of a trend in my life and am pleased to watch myself becoming more like him in those ways.
- He is creative and eclectic. My first musical influences from him were Leonard Cohen and the Beatles, both of whom I still love.
- He is a sentimentalist and a lover of tradition.
- He's a world traveler (lives in Istanbul right now) and lover of unique cultures. He has given me a fascination with exploring new areas and new people.