In case you're wondering what we're learning, the module we're on right now is called Equipping for Cross-Cultural Life and Ministry (first four weeks). They gave us 17 written objectives, but I'll try to summarize them for you:
- Examine culture shock and ways to cope.
- Identify potential problems affecting men, women, singles, marriages and families on the mission field, and talk about how to turn that around so that this is a positive, growing experience for all.
- Learn practical information and tools regarding health overseas.
- Discuss cross-cultural stuff: perspectives, research tools, data of social organization, areas of personal ethnocentrism, worldview issues....
- Grow in personal faith and talk about how to continue that on the field.
- Write a 15 page research paper on the target culture.