Our first visit to a university in Pucallpa! This is the largest one. Strangely (God?) our visit coincided with the surprise visit of another American missionary, a man unknown to the Christian group we were visiting but a recently hired leader in its national organization. We're hoping to meet with him soon to learn more about the organization (the South American branch of Intervarsity) and how we might be able to help out.
Here are some things that stuck out to me from our visit:
- There were about as many guys as girls. Very unusual around here for churchy stuff.
- The students seemed remarkably mature.
- They stood in a public place and sang worship songs while people gawked. I could care less now, but I would have died of embarrassment had I been one of them.
- It seems like there could be a million ways to grow and strengthen this group. I wonder if they're interested.
- I can't imagine an "outsider" coming in. It's also clear that they have a desire to reach out. I wonder if they don't know how to do it.
- They don't have a paid leader or any adults who invest in this group on a regular basis.
I have lots of ideas but am waiting to see where God leads. Keep praying!