- Never allow yourself to complain about anything-- not even the weather.
- Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.
- Never compare your lot with another's.
- Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
- Never dwell on tomorrow-- remember that [tomorrow] is God's, not ours.
My first thoughts were admiration. Imagine never complaining about the weather! This woman had to bring her thermometer inside some days because it couldn't go past 120 F without breaking. And I thought it was hot here!!
Then I remembered what I read in 1 Thessalonians 1 just hours before, a reminder about the role of imitation in a life of faith. Paul writes, "You became imitators of us and of the Lord.... And you became a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia." Yes, we are called to be examples, but also to follow examples.
I had been on the look-out all day for things to imitate in others, but the real bang came with this short list. I just wanted to enjoy the story, but I know God calls me to more than that. Have I grown stagnant in my pursuit of holiness? Here's a remedy for sure!
I imagine it's also a remedy for stagnation in the pursuit of happiness. I can't change the heat, but I know I can change my attitude about it. Surely changing my attitude will bring more joy and peace to my day. As Paul wrote in another letter, "Godliness with contentment is great gain."