When it comes to the Alpha Retreat, my biggest preoccupation is food. Here's the menu:
- Breakfast: tamales and sarsa (onion/chile/lemon/garlic sauce), manzanilla tea
- Morning snack: Cocoa Krispy Treats, fruit salad, lemonade
- Lunch: ocopa, arroz con pollo
- Afternoon snack: caramelized peanuts, banana chips, guacamole and chips, animal crackers, soda
- Evening snack: grilled anticuchos (cow hearts) and chicken wings, boiled potatoes
Some of this is traditional Peruvian, other parts traditional American. I think it will be a fun balance. In case you're looking for something delicious to eat this weekend, here's the recipe for the fruit salad. I never like fruit salads with sauce until I made this.
Unbelievable Fruit Salad
Thank you, Food Network!
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used natural yogurt)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey (I used sugar)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
1 cup seedless grapes, halved
1 pear, peeled, cored and diced (I forgot this part)
10 to 12 medium size strawberries, halved
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 banana, sliced
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
In a small mixing bowl whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey, vanilla extract and salt. Season with pepper, to taste. Set aside. Place all of the fruit and the nuts into a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Add the dressing, toss and serve.